9/29/08 Email Message
Family,
Things are going great here. I am so excited for General Conference. Even though it actually happens this weekend, we wont see it until next weekend because of the crazy time differences. But I am very excited. We are so blessed to be able to devote an entire weekend twice a year to just listening to the voice of prophets and apostles of God. I never really appreciated the importance of general conference before my mission. But now that Ive been a missionary, I see just how amazing this church is and how incredible it is to be led by a living prophet of Heavenly Father. So to say the least Im excited for next weekend.
Lately Elder Kawabata and I have been very blessed. Even though we have less time to dendo [proselyte] than we used to, we are blessed to have many people to teach and share the gospel with. And recently it seems like all of our lessons are about the Spirit and the blessings that come from the gospel. And as Ive taught others about these amazing gifts Ive started to better recognize their importance in my life. I have come to realize that the Holy Ghost is something that I have always taken for granted. But as my understanding has grown, my gratefulness has deepened. I have a new favorite scripture - its 3 Nephi 19:9-15. Its kind of long but I want to share it here because I love it so much:
9 And they did pray for that which they most desired; and they desired that the Holy Ghost should be given unto them.
10 And when they had thus prayed they went down unto the water’s edge, and the multitude followed them.
11 And it came to pass that Nephi went down into the water and was baptized.
12 And he came up out of the water and began to baptize. And he baptized all those whom Jesus had chosen.
13 And it came to pass when they were all baptized and had come up out of the water, the Holy Ghost did fall upon them, and they were filled with the Holy Ghost and with fire.
14 And behold, they were encircled about as if it were by fire; and it came down from heaven, and the multitude did witness it, and did bear record; and angels did come down out of heaven and did minister unto them.
15 And it came to pass that while the angels were ministering unto the disciples, behold, Jesus came and stood in the midst and ministered unto them.
I have read and shared these verses many times over the past few weeks. Why was the Holy Ghost the disciples' greatest desire? I never really understood what the disciples felt until I became a missionary. But the experiences Ive had over the last year and a little have helped me understand - I have seen that all that is good comes through the Holy Ghost. Every thing that is good in our lives is enhanced by the Spirit. I have been so happy recently because I have been blessed with wonderful spiritual experiences. At times I feel like I am "filled with the Holy Ghost and with fire". And in the midst of that fire I have felt Jesus minister unto me and my investigators. And now I understand.
I love you! Thanks for always being there for me. You are the best!
Much Love,
Elder Brendan Kingsford
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment