Thursday, October 22, 2009

Life is good!

10/21/09 Email Message

Family,

Sorry I havent written in a while...sometimes we just dont take p-day here because we feel like we just have too much to do. But Dads last email made me realize that Im not prioritizing my time as wisely as I should. Im sorry if Ive made any one feel like I dont care about you because I dont write every week. Ive just been trying to concentrate my efforts on fulfilling my calling as a missionary and helping my investigators and the mission progress. But I realize I still need to keep my family in the loop, so I will make try to write weekly from here to the end of my mission.

So guess what? This week I realized that it is indeed a small world after all. Dad, Im not sure but I seem to remember you telling me a few times when I was little that your mission presidents name meant "cow tail" And if thats true his name was Ushio desho [right]? President Ushio of the Osaka Mission is President Tateokas uncle. Ushio kaichos [president] wifes maiden name is Tateoka - she is Tateoka kaichos aunt. So if I am right your mission President is my mission Presidents uncle. Cool huh?

Also, yesterday I found an email from Bishop Carlson in the mission email inbox yesterday. I didnt know this before, but I found out he actually served in the Sendai Mission. One time when Dad and I went to his house to home teach, he and Dad joked about the kekko [decline] box he had on his front porch. I didnt know what that meant but they seemed to think it was pretty funny and I figured he had also served in Japan but I didnt know where. Apparently he attended church in one of our branches here last week. I thought that was cool. Also he and his family live in Friendswood Texas now - did you know that? Im writing him a letter this week.

Its really cooling off around here now. We are starting to bundle up and preparing for winter dendo once more. Im going to the store today to buy gloves and ear muffs and after that we are going to pick up the first tank of toyu [kerosine] for our heater. Whooh! Fun stuff. Pretty soon Ill be breaking out the winter coat and snow boots and trekking through the snow. Cant wait!

Life is good! One of our investigators is getting baptized on Kimberly's birthday. His name is Someya and he is so cool. The first time we met him we only talked to him for 20 seconds on the street because he was in a hurry but he gave us his number. We called him back, set up an appointment, and on his first lesson he asked us if he could be baptized. He is currently a recovering alcoholic but he says Jesus gives him strength to beat it. Also he has gone from smoking a pack a day to completely quitting in just under a month. He loves the Book of Mormon as well as the Bible - especially when Jesus speaks. I love teaching him because he just feels the spirit so much when we meet. I feel blessed to have been able to find and teach him even with all the other responsibilities I have taking my time away from dendo [proselyting]. We are so blessed!

I love you. I hope everyone has a great week - tell MErritt I said hi! I was sad to hear she is having a hard time with old age - but im glad shes doing better now. Talk to you soon!

Much Love,

Elder Brendan Kingsford

No comments: