Monday, December 21, 2009

God sent me my dog Merritt

12/18/09 Email Message to Elder Kingsford from his Mom

Dear Elder Kingsford,

I am so sad to type this but we had to put Merritt to sleep yesterday. She wasn't able to get up onto her hind legs since Sunday. We took her to the vet on Monday morning and she was put on pain medicine. She didn't feel pain but she could not get up and throughout the week she got worse. We've had her on some joint medicine and it has worked for a while. It gave us time to appreciate her and let her KNOW we appreciate her.

Your Dad would get her up every morning, since Sunday, by lifting her back end and then she would go and eat and pee until she fell on the ground again. Then Dad brought her back in to sleep on her pillow. She never cried or made a paining sound.

It was amazing to watch Merritt this past week. Even though she couldn't get up she wanted to live her every day life anyway. She would make me take her outside at her regular scheduled times and then she would hop around the yard doing her thing, Chasing the Sun. At 3:30 the Sun is gone from the yard so I would go out and bring her back into the house to lay on her pillow. She wagged her happy tail the whole time. She has made me see how much she enjoys the simple pleasures life has to offer. Somehow it made me realize I need to do the same.

She has been a big part of my every day life since you left for college. She sleeps in our room and snores her head off. So I've gotten to enjoy snoring in stereo. She follows me all around the house when we are home alone together. She talks to me and she loves all my friends and They love her.

Dad called the Vet on Thursday to ask if there was more we could do for her. Sadly No. She was getting worse everyday. I couldn't bare to take her in to put her to sleep, so Dad took her for us. He said she was given a sedative and then he petted her for a while and he told her thank you for being a good pet and we would see her again. Then she quickly fell asleep. The Vet came in and injected the pink stuff. Within 30 seconds she was expired. Dad didn't cry at all. I cried, Kimberly cried and Kendall cried. Dad was mournful but crying on the inside. I am so glad that your Dad was able to take her in for us. We didn't want to see her suffer and she surely would have if we had waited through the weekend. I am so grateful she didin't suffer. She was a great dog and a big blessing in our lives.

We have been so busy with the Christmas festival this year so it put us kind of behind for Christmas. But we have been having a great season so far. I think Dad is emailing you about scheduling our phone call. YAy!!

Awesome to hear you are receiving blessings from Heavenly Father in your new area. It is always so inspiring when I experience great things beyond my own ability and recognize that it is the will of God and I get to be a part of it.

We got your packages for Christmas. I love that ours is in a hello kitty box. Thank you.

Josh Bell is home. He looks fantastic. So much so that a bunch of my girls think he is cute. He spoke to all the seminary classes his first full day home. At one point he told them about the email you wrote to me when you received a letter from him and how you felt it was like Ammon seeing his brothers in the gospel. And the great joy he felt. They loved listening to him.

Can't wait to hear your voice.

Love You,
Mom


12/21/09 Email message from Brendan

Dear Family,

I have to admit I have been crying for the last few minutes. And I cant quite seem to get the tears out of my eyes. At first I thought it was silly because she is just a dog, but we all know thats not true. Merritt was always more to me than just a dog. Shes a big part of my life. Shes been my friend since I was a little boy. Every boy needs a dog - and Merritt was mine. I could pull her ears and tail, pick her up, roll her over, lay on her, pretty much do anything to her and she never complained. She never jumped on me or slobbered on my clothes. She hated cats just like I did. She let me play with her when I was bored, hug her when I was sad, and talk to her when I needed a friend. Somehow she always knew when I was sad. She refused to learn tricks or fetch a ball - but thats just because all that was beneath her. At the time in my life when I most needed someone, God sent me my dog Merritt. And I loved her. And she was special to all of us. I dont know how many times we've said this over the years but she was our perfect dog. She matched us perfectly. I always felt like God made her for us - and He probably did. We are so blessed to have been able to love her for so long. She was a good dog - and one of my biggest personal blessings. Ill miss her.

But on the subject of happier things...I cant believe that Josh is home! Have you had him over yet? Thats cool that he got to meet Asher. I wonder what life is like for him right now. Probably pretty weird. Next time you see him tell him I said hi. And dont get married before I get home!

I'm excited to talk to everyone this week!

Much Love,
Elder Kingsford


Photobucket




Photobucket

2 comments:

Stefanie H said...

:'(. I am dreading the day when we will lose one of our dogs.. they are truely likey family, aren't they?

Wendyrful said...

I'm not an animal person... but, these messages back and forth from mom to son and son back again, brought a tear to my eye. Liam loved Merritt too over the past couple of months. I even thought Merrit was a sweet dog, and that's saying something! Thank you Shari for sharing your lives with us.