Monday, May 24, 2010

"What do you think mans greatest desire is?"

5/24/10 Email Message

Family,

I just want to start with a note to Kendall. I feel your pain! Stick shift is not fun. When I started learning, I spent the first few weeks avoiding hills at all costs. I would leave seminary early and take the long way to school all the way through heavy traffic down madison pike because the hill on eastview just about gave me nightmares. I swear I could just hear everyone behind me in traffic laughing at me as I grinded gears, stalled out, and rolled backward 10 feet every time I tried to start. I came to loathe stop signs and red lights because that meant I had to go back to the dreaded 1st gear. Why wouldnt dad just let me drive an automatic?! I hated the stupid stick shift. And then something amazing happened. Mom finally deemed it safe enough to take me out and show me how to use it. And then it clicked. And now I am so glad I know how to drive a manual because I have been in tons of situations where it was the only option I had. It has made life easier. And plus its cool. So just keep practicing and try to convince mom its safe enough for her to take you out ;-) (and whatever you do, avoid eastview at all costs!)

Life is going pretty good over here. Today is May 24 which means exactly one month until the last day in the field. Im not really sure what to think of that so I am really just trying not to think of it. However, I do have to send home some stuff soon. (I dont know how much its going to cost. How does 200 dollars sound for shipping and a new suitcase?)

But other than that its life as usual for us here in Hachinohe. I had a really cool experience on the street last night. It was late at night and we were about to go home when I stopped a man and we started to talk. He seemed pretty interested and as we were talking he asked me a question. He said "What do you think mans greatest desire is?" Ive actually never heard a Japanese person ask me a question like that before so I was pretty impressed. And as I thought about it the Spirit gave me an answer that impressed me even more. I felt inspired to say "What man most desires is a relationship with God. He may not even recognize it himself, but every person is looking for God. And we can show you how to find Him" And then Hiro san and I just stood there for a few moments and felt the spirit speak to our hearts. He said motioned to his heart and said "I think you are right. I feel it right here. How can I find Him?" Hes coming to our Book of Mormon class tonight and our Bible class on Wednesday.

I think thats what I will miss the most. The opportunity to bear my testimony every day in spontaneous moments like that. When will i get another chance to walk up to strangers and bear my testimony of the gospel? It sounds a little weird i know, but i love talking to strangers about religion and about my faith. They need Jesus as much as I do. And I love when we feel the spirit together like I did with Hiro san last night. I hope to have many experiences like that over this last month.

I love you! Thanks for all of your prayers and encouragement. Dad dont get in anymore wrecks!

Much Love,
Elder Brendan Kingsford


395

3 comments:

Stefanie H said...

i feel so inspired and impressed everytime i read brendans letters. i know u guys must be so so proud :)

Sharon said...

This awesome boy has grown to be such an amazing man! I love reading his letters!

He is such a great example to Chad. He talks about how great Brendan is and looks forward to seeing him when he comes back.

Unknown said...

An inspirational story of vulnerability and overcoming adversity
thanks for having the courage to share

Mentoring Life Coach
Sober Blog
Live Alcohol Free Challenge
Twelve Step Books

All the best
for the future
Bren